Thursday, September 8, 2011

Rating the Republican Debaters of September 7, 2011 at the Reagan Library

Having watched the debate last night, I am not really rating the debate, but the debaters.

Watching how each of the debaters did, here is my estimation of how each of the debaters came out, according to how they answered the questions onstage at the Reagan Library.

First, here is the criteria that I would go by: Were they rattled by the questions, or did they answer them in a decisive and confident way?  Were the answers they gave intelligent, logical, and satisfying, providing real solutions to our nations problems?  Did they go after the weak record of Barack Obama, and then explain how they would do things differently?  Did they appear presidential and professional, the kind of candidate that would convince voters that they would be a good EXECUTIVE to lead our nation? 


1.  Romney
2.  Bachmann/Gingrich
4.  Perry
5.  Cain
6.  Santorum
7.  Paul
8. Huntsman

Romney answered the questions well, and appeared the most like a presidential and professional kind of candidate.  He was fair to the other candidates, and went after the record of Barack Obama in a convincing way, telling me that he could beat our sitting president in a head-to-head election.  He seemed like a natural up there.

Bachmann had strong answers to her questions, and showed her experience as a member of congress.
Where Gingrich has some baggage that will be difficult to overcome, Gingrich came across to me as the smartest person on the stage.  He knows how to answer questions in a convincing way; he always seems to know what he's talking about.  Gingrich always seems like a natural onstage. 

Rick Perry was also came across as very genuine in this debate.  To me, it wasn't his best performance, but he had more opportunities to talk it seemed than some of the other candidates.  He also appeared to be nervous, and there were times it seemed that he struggled for words. 

Cain came across as genuine and relaxed, a likeable fellow with creative solutions for our nation's problems. 
I don't doubt that the fellow knows how to be an executive, nor would I worry about the others above.

Santorum has a great deal of experience, and I think that he needs a lot more time to talk.  He has excellent things to say, but doesn't get the chance to say them in these forums.

Ron Paul had some good answers to some questions, and in other instances a person kind of cringes when he talks.  He appears kind of fragile these days. 

Huntsman, what can I say?  I struggle with trusting the fellow to come out strongly enough against the liberal agenda, and he just doesn't seem presidential to me.  I don't agree with a lot of what he says.

I would say that if one of these candidates becomes President, they SHOULD draw from many of the debaters onstage for cabinet positions.  I think there were many excellent things that these debaters bring to the table.  Even Paul and Huntsman have some good ideas, even though I agree with, and see the other candidates as the better options.  Looking forward to further debates.

Addendum: Listened to Rush Limbaugh this afternoon, and Rush pointed out the debate was intended to make the candidates look bad, especially one particular target, Rick Perry.  Whereas I place Perry as fourth on this list, does not mean that I choose the other three above Perry.  I, in fact, am not ready to make a choice among these Republicans yet.  It's still too early.

Perry made some good points about social security, and about the death penalty in Texas.  The media would like us to think that the death penalty is a horrible injustice, but the reality is, when people commit the most heinous of crimes, the death penalty is necessary to maintain civilization and deter terrible atrocities.  I believe that if people knew the death penalty was coming for heinous crimes, it could keep them from committing them.

The media would also like to make candidates look bad through the lines of questioning they choose.  I think the candidates passed with flying colors.  They also "pushed back" when necessary.  We know where the media stands.  I think the candidates were genuine, and have come out looking good after this debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment